December 6th, 2013Cannot install Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 in Windows 8
Knowledge Base support case for Likno Web Modal Windows Builder, Likno Web Scroller Builder, Likno Web Accordions Builder, Likno Web Tooltips Builder, Likno Web Tabs Builder, abstracted and stripped of all user’s private info.
Initial Email From: Robert
Initial Email Subject: Likno Builders fail to start
Support Case Month: December 2013
I am trying to install the Likno Builders in my new Windows 8 64bit PC and although it says that installation was successful, the applications fail to load.
When I try to install the Likno Builders, it asks me to install the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5. I let this installation begin, but I always get an error 0x800F906 and I cannot install the required Framework.
What can I do?
Reply From: Likno Customer Support
The most possible is that you try to install Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 in a PC which is connected to a domain. This would stop you from downloading the necessary files due to the group policy rights.
Please, read the following Microsoft help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734782 and follow the steps on Method 2: Configure the Group Policy setting
or you may want to see the steps here:
To configure the Group Policy setting, follow these steps:
- Start the Local Group Policy Editor or Group Policy Management Console.
Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012: Point to the upper-right corner of the screen, click Search, type group policy, click Settings, and then click Edit group policy.
Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: Point to the upper-right corner of the screen, click Search, type group policy, and then click Edit group policy.
- Expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, and then select System. The screen shot for this step is listed below.
- Open the Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair Group Policy setting, and then select Enabled. The screen shot for this step is listed below.
- If you want to specify an alternative source file, in the Alternate source file path box, specify a fully qualified path of a shared folder that contains the contents of the \sources\sxs folder from the installation media.
Example of a shared folder path: \\server_name\share\Win8sxs
Or, specify a WIM file. To specify a WIM file as an alternative source file location, add the prefix WIM: to the path, and then add the index of the image that you want to use in the WIM file as a suffix.
Example of a WMI file path: WIM:\\server_name\share\install.wim:3
Note In this example, 3 represents the index of the image in which the feature files are found.
- If it is applicable to do this, select the Contact Windows Update directly to download repair content instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) check box.
- Tap or click OK.
- At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then press Enter to apply the policy immediately:
Restart your PC.
Then, run the Likno Builders installers, this time when you are prompted to install Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 you will be able to successfully install it, so you won't have any problem with the Likno Builders.
Let me know how that worked for you.
Likno Customer Support
Reply From: Robert
Indeed my computer is in a network, so it is connected to a Domain.
Doing the above steps it solved my issue. Everything is fine.