November 24th, 2009How to create mega drop-down menus
As Jakob Nielsen (the "king of usability") says in his article on mega drop-down menus usability, mega menus have the following characteristics:
- Big, two-dimensional panels divided into groups of navigation option
- Navigation choices structured through layout, typography, and (sometimes) icons
- Everything visible at once, no scrolling
- Vertical or horizontal form factors when activated from top navigation bars; when activated from left-hand navigation, they might appear as mega fly-outs.
Visit our examples page to view 2 mega menu examples, which are simple variations of the vertical mega drop-down menus used at foodnetwork.com and actionenvelope.com:
So, how is a mega drop-down menu created using AllWebMenus?
This is easy!
- Add a single item only on each submenu of the Main Menu items
- Use the "HTML - Full Mode" value at the "Text" property of that submenu items
- Add any content you like to the "Text" property (tables, divs, links, text, images, etc.) using simple HTML
Visit our examples page to see these 2 mega menu examples in action and download their AllWebMenus projects!